A Definition Essay As An Academic Assignment
An academic assignment that gives a concise explanation of an idea, a concept, or a term is called a definition essay. But there is a difference between a simple definition and a definition paper: the latter includes all denotative connotative definitions, and the former includes only a definition. Terms may have an abstract or concrete meaning.
Such a paper should consist of both the legitimate meaning and the writer’s explanation with relevant examples. You may choose any topic for such writing, but they shouldn’t exceed 500 words or be less than 250.
Definitions in an official dictionary are typically shorter, and your purpose is to broaden the comprehension of how the word is used, mentioning diverse notions of the item under analysis. It’s preferable to use illustrations to back the explanations. For instance, some terms have a few meanings; some of them are literary, others are real-life. It’s not defined from what angle you should scrutinize the word, and you are required to write the legitimate description in the introductory part.
Select a Proper Topic
To make up a correct topic for your writing is significant but, in many cases, not easy either. If you are not provided with a topic, select your own. All terms fall into a few groups (with plenty of meanings, common, abstract, without a common interpretation, disputed). It’s essential to pick the term correctly, and you ought to understand it well, then you will manage to clarify its meaning to others.
- If you choose a term that has only one interpretation, it will not be possible to present your writing skills and understanding of the subject.
- Select words, the meaning of which can be debated in various contexts.
- If your teacher doesn’t provide certain subjects to write about in the essay, make a list of definition essay words.
- Select items with several meanings.
New Compelling Topics for Your Paper
To help you write a compelling paper, we offer a list of new prompts and topics. We’ve studied a large number of high-quality works to create it. Our list includes the most trendy topics that can inspire any student to write impressively.
- The value of targeted traffic for internet marketing.
- What is social media marketing?
- The influence of crisis upon a financial system of a state.
- The role and types of advertising.
- Main social security measures.
- The price and its components.
- What is a small business, and what are its main peculiarities?
- How a corporation differs from other legal entities.
- What are social networking companies?
- Factors contributing to high motivation of a hired employee.
- How is a salary formed?
- What is outsourcing, and why is it used?
- Main peculiarities of a free market.
- The description of international competition.
- The bankruptcy and its functions for a business.
- What are long-term and short-term objectives for business?
- How does a cashless economy function?
- How does the stock market function?
- The use of cryptocurrencies in business.
- What is creative marketing?
- The impact of globalization on business processes.
- International trade and its role in the modern economy.
- What is a business plan, and how to use it?
- The use of business grants.
- Productivity and the influence of motivation upon it.
- The analysis of the document of financial information.
- A case study to determine what companies actively use electronic document management.
- An analysis of the increasing trend of home offices in the modern business era
- The challenges of setting priorities in office management.
- The main tools and software used in office automation.
- Four different market structures are found in the U.S. market system.
- The functions of marketing and the marketing environment.
- Marketing plan and the segmentation of the target market.
- Innovations in behavioral marketing and benefits of electronic marketing.
- Marketing nature and role of marketing in companies and in society.
- The importance of freedom for the development of human society.
- Fight for freedom and human rights in developing countries.
- Financial vs. spiritual freedom.
- Spiritual freedom as a conscious choice.
- What is personal freedom?
- Religious freedom as a sign of modern times.
- Freedom and responsibility.
- The importance of freedom of thought in modern society.
- How do violations of personal freedom influence our lives?
- Fighting for liberty as a privilege.
- Does happiness play an important role in the life of an average person?
- How to achieve happiness.
- Is success necessary for happiness?
- Universal understanding of happiness.
- What is necessary for a person to be happy?
- Is material success necessary for happiness?
- Spiritual growth is a necessary condition of happiness.
- Realistic expectations as a necessary factor of happiness.
- The role of perseverance in achieving happiness.
- Does strong help to reach happiness?
- Being happy is a choice.
- Happy relationship is the way to a more fulfilling life.
- Your personal understanding of happiness.
- Helping those in need as a way to feel happy.
- Being content with what you possess.
- Understanding of a tsunami and its cause.
- The main features of tsunamis and their effects.
- The causes and effects of the tsunami.
- Gigantic waves and the characteristics of the tsunami.
- Major causes of the massive waves of tsunami.
- The tsunamis’ myth.
- Tsunami in South-East Asia.
- Tsunami waves and the measures for reducing tsunami damage.
- Natural disasters and the terrible effect of a tsunami in Japan.
- Tsunami earthquake in Southeast Asia in 2004.
- The history of NATO.
- International relations and NATO.
- The analysis of NATO intervention in Kosovo.
- How NATO survived the cold war.
- The United States policy towards NATO.
- The introduction to the history of NATO and Yugoslavia.
- NATO’s enlargement is the key to stability.
- The history of the NATO alliance.
- NATO and its changing role after the Cold War.
- Analysis of NATO on a pact for peace or power.
- Love and marriage.
- An introduction to marriage.
- A comparison of arranged marriages and love marriages.
- Marriage in the Middle Ages.
- How to have a joyous marriage.
- An analysis of tribal marriage tradition.
- How to have a joyous marriage.
- Marriage, family, and death in the Lebanese culture.
- Marriage as a social institution.
- The difficulties in marriage.
- The deprivation of human contact caused by social media.
- Hate and bullying on social media.
- Personal privacy in social media.
- The advantages of corporate use of social media.
- Social media and teens.
- Businesses and social media.
- The importance of being careful with the use of social media.
- Social media and teens.
- The history of the evolution of social media.
- Social media as a platform for speaking out.
- A brief overview of Buddhism.
- The dominant concept in Buddhism.
- The ten vows of Buddhism.
- A short analysis of Buddhism.
- Buddhism and its ten vows.
- The goal of Buddhism.
- Buddhism and its historical transformations.
- Facts about Buddhism.
- The origin of Buddhism.
- Buddhism as one of the world religions.
- The history of communism in Cuba.
- Understanding communism.
- The analysis of communism in Russia.
- The history of American communism.
- Communism and freedom.
- Communism in China.
- The effects of communism in Vietnam.
- The history and description of communism.
- Communism and socialism.
- The advantages and disadvantages of communism.
- The analysis of the art of surrealism.
- By Salvatore Dali and the introduction of surrealism.
- The peculiarities of surrealism.
- Salvador Dali, the greatest painter of surrealism.
- Surrealism in Europe.
- Main peculiarities of surrealism.
- The most famous surrealist artists.
- Surrealism in films.
- The aspects of surrealism in the works of Salvador Dali.
- The surrealist movement of the 1920s.
Topics for IT and Science
- Main programming languages.
- The development of the internet.
- Advantages of a tablet.
- Linux operating system.
- Windows vs. Apple: principal advantages.
- The use of databases.
- Advantages of online sources of information.
- Mobile internet.
- The significance of artificial intelligence in education.
- Search engines.
A Typical Structure
A typical structure that you can use as a plan:
- Reword or copy-paste the most cited definition from one of the dictionaries;
- Write your personal understanding and explanation of the term;
- Present an example of using this word from real life or from literary pieces;
- Support your point with evidence;
- Write a conclusion.
If you used any additional sources of information, mention them in your list of references. You should avoid plagiarism and thoroughly rephrase the information that you apply.
First of all, you need to write the introduction. In the beginning paragraph, you can mention a relevant quote, a rhetorical question, or an interesting fact to make the reader curious. You need to clarify the function of the picked word in the language. In the last sentence of the introductory section, write that you will name every probable interpretation of the term and every case of its application.
In the central part of your paper, give several examples from various sources or from your experience to present various usages of the selected word.
Use the meaning from a news source that you haven’t aforementioned. At the end of the body, summarize all probable explanations of the term.
Transition Words and Phrases to Write an Excellent Essay
Your paper’s text needs to adhere to a logical structure, and for that, you should apply special transition terms and phrases. They are typically dealt with to provide a smooth flow of text for various sections of the text. For that transition, words and phrases are applied at the beginning and at the end of the paragraph. They assist the reader in understanding your idea.
Valuable Tips That Will Help
If you want to pick an impeccable topic, pay attention to the essential tips that our experts selected for you. You can also find free examples on our website written by our specialists.
- Select the word. Your purpose is to get the highest grade; that’s why you must pick words that denote processes. Don’t choose such words as running or watermelon;
- Write your personal interpretation. Apart from the official definition from the dictionary, present your own thoughts of the analyzed terms. If you choose a term, your interpretation should be as objective as possible;
- Give examples from real life. The reader should understand you well. That is why you need to apply relative examples to demonstrate how the term is applied in a real context;
- Pay attention to multiple definitions. Apply terms that have more than one meaning (for example, current, watch, run, turn);
- Don’t analyze universal words like room, hello, piano.
· Research is essential, although you are not writing a scientific paper. Try to identify every imaginable implication of the term and its origin and most typical application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Definition Essay Example?
A definition essay example is a typical essay that displays major peculiarities of the assignment, such as its topic, structure, and the application of transition words, a reference list.
How Do You Write a Definition Essay?
A definition essay consists of the same parts as for any other essay. It includes: the introductory part, the body, and the conclusion are its parts.
In your writing, incorporate the official definition of the term, its interpretation, an illustration of how it may be used in the literary context or a real-life example, the evidence, the conclusion, a list of references (on the off chance you use external sources).
What Is a Definition Argument Essay?
An argument essay is usually one of the challenges among other types of tasks. In descriptive essays, we need to use creative and narrative skills; in argumentative essays, it’s necessary to conduct research, use reliable facts, and persuade the audience. The main goal of writing an argument essay is to convince the audience; for this reason, the arguments that have been used ought to be backed by credible facts.